MyODP News Online
Maybe it's time for Takeout
As COVID-19 has affected our eating habits and our typical routines (e.g., eating out), some of us are starting to wish we signed up for a cooking class or two before this all started, others are just missing their favorite foods. For some of us, the familiar taste of a meal from a favorite restaurant may be a simple way to connect to the normalcy of life before this all started.
There is good news! Current guidance from the Food and Drug Administration states that "there is no evidence to suggest that food produced in the United States can transmit COVID-19.” In this article from NPR, Olga Padilla-Zakour, director of the Cornell Food Venture Center at Cornell University recommends taking the following steps to ensure safety when ordering takeout:
- Take a few minutes to create a safe food environment when the food arrives by cleaning any surfaces it will touch.
- Pay (and tip) in advance to minimize person-to-person interaction with the driver or restaurant takeout clerk.
- If delivery, let the driver leave the food at the doorstep. Wait until the driver is at least 6 feet away before picking up the food.
- Remove the food from the takeout bags or containers, and dispose of or recycle them appropriately. Use your own utensils and plates.
- After disposing of packaging, wash your hands for 20 seconds with soap and water.
- Wipe counters and other surfaces where you unpacked the food.
Some of the individuals we support rely on others to purchase and prepare their food, and like the rest of us, may be starting to get a little tired of all the home cooked meals especially if they are used to eating restaurant food several times per week. So, (hint, hint) maybe this weekend would be a nice time to try some take out as a treat? If not this weekend, what about scheduling a take out night or two next week so the individual and/or supporters have something to look forward to?
Are there other strategies or recommendations that have been effective for the participants you support? If so, let us know! Please send any suggestions or questions related to this email or requests for additional resources to RAemail@example.com