MyODP News Online
Remote Employment Supports
As a follow-up from last week’s article What To Know About Work Right Now, here are some additional resources about remote supports related to employment. The Association of People Supporting Employment First (APSE) recently recorded a Strategies for Providing Remote Employment Supports webinar that contained some great tips and ideas.
Tips to put remote supports in place
- Remote support may not work for everyone, so you will need to feel out the participant to see what WILL work for them. Be creative and think outside of the box.
- Now is not a time for long term plans. Consider what CAN be done and make it happen and see if it works.
- Don’t focus on barriers. Advocate for and request needed provisions.
- If you have an idea, be creative and try to make it happen.
- Reach out and let us know if there are barriers or if you have questions.
- Try some of the strategies listed below.
Outside of the box ideas
- For those who are essential workers, call the participant before and after shifts and during breaks to check in and discuss progress, needs, and struggles.
- When working on resumes and job searching, use an online platform and share your screen. You can search the internet and work on resumes together.
- Role play job interviews via video technology. Have the participant dress for the job and go through the motions of a real interview to practice the skills.
- For participants who are working from home during this time, encourage them to set up a temporary office for themselves and support setting up a space that works for them.
- Calendly app provides a way to schedule virtual appointments with participants. By viewing the staff’s account, the participant can view the staff’s availability and schedule something that will work for both of them.
Are there other strategies or recommendations that have been effective for the participants you support? If so, let us know! Please send any suggestions or questions related to this email or requests for additional resources to RAfirstname.lastname@example.org