Using a visual schedule could be a game-changer!
What is a visual schedule?
It is a visual representation of scheduled
tasks or activities in the order in which they’ll occur, using symbols,
objects, pictures, and/or words.
Why use a visual schedule?
- Facilitates communication (both expressive and receptive)
- Supports the concept of sequencing
- Creates smoother transitions
- Fosters independence
- Reinforces the beginning and end of activities
- Individualized to meet the person’s needs
- Provides clear directions in a way that makes sense to the person
- Keeps individuals on task
What does a visual schedule look like?
It could look very differently depending on
the needs of the individual you support. Visual schedules need to be created
fully based on the person’s unique skills and needs. Tune in next month for
some easy steps to create a visual schedule or email us to get started sooner!
For more information on the Communication Corner, please contact the Special Populations Unit at RA-ODPDeafServices@pa.gov
Posted: May 1, 2020, 11:25