MyODP News Online
Why is the Census so important?
US Census workers will be ending in-person door-to-door visits a month earlier than previously reported. Door-to-door census worker visits will now end September 30, 2020. ODP encourages residents to complete the census online or via mail. Updated July 31.
The United States Census 2020 is occurring NOW and it is important for everyone to take the time to participate.
The Census count helps determine:
- How much money state and local governments get;
- Where that money goes, like health care, Medicaid, housing vouchers, transportation,
educational programs as well as other programs that provide needed services and
other community needs; and
- How many representatives each state gets in the House of Representatives.
For Census resources for people with disabilities visit https://thearc.org/Census/. The Census makes sure that people with disabilities are accounted for when the government makes big decisions.
- April 1 – Census Day – The US Census opens for responses
- Self-Response - done online, by phone or in the mail will continue through October 31, 2020.
- August 11 through September 30, 2020 – In-person visits from Census takers for households who have not responded to the Census invitation
- October 31, 2020 – last day to respond to the Census
How to participate in the Census
When you receive your Census invitation either by mail or when a Census taker drops it off, one person from your household can respond by online, by mail, or by phone:
If you do not have a Census invitation, you can complete the Census now by visiting https://my2020census.gov/ and selecting ‘If you do not have a Census ID, click here’ when prompted.
If you need help completing the Census, or need to fill out the Census in another language, resources can be found at https://2020census.gov/en/contact-us.html