MyODP News Online
Economic Impact Payment Guidance
As we continue to receive questions related to participants and economic impact payments, we wanted to be sure you saw the recently updated Government Benefits and Representative Payee Services During the COVID-19 Emergency document.
Please be sure to read the entire document, but we want to highlight questions 2, 3, and 4 which provide the answers to the most frequently asked questions.
2. I receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Am I eligible to receive an economic impact payment?
- SSI recipients will automatically receive stimulus checks of $1200. These funds will not count as income and will not be counted as assets for the first twelve months, as pertains to SSI and MA eligibility. However, adults who are claimed as dependents by others are not eligible for stimulus checks. Further, SSI beneficiaries with dependent children still need to use the IRS portal to receive their $500 child credit.
3. How should the representative payee assist the participant in using the economic impact payment?
- The economic impact payment (payment) belongs to the Social Security or SSI participant. The representative payee should discuss the payment with the participant. If the participant wants to use the payment independently, the representative payee should provide the payment to the participant. If the participant asks the representative payee for assistance in using the payment in a specific manner or saving it, the representative payee can provide that assistance outside the role of a representative payee.
4. How should the provider assist the participant in using the economic impact payment?
- As stated in the question above, the economic impact payment (payment) belongs to the Social Security or SSI participant. If the participant has questions about the payment, the provider should help address those questions with the participant or help the participant reach out to the representative payee for further clarification. If the participant asks the provider for
Please send any suggestions or questions related to this email or requests for additional resources to RAfirstname.lastname@example.org